Finishing in Faith
Many start out enthusiastically in their faith, but how many of us are finishing in faith? This is the topic of our Memorial Day church service; it was powerful. We had the pleasure of listening to Sgt. Major Phillip Crosby, USMC, and I know you’ll be moved by what he shared.
If you didn’t have an opportunity to be with us in person, follow along with the video and sermon notes below for a very interactive way to worship. As you watch, you’ll be able to fill in the blanks. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Finishing in Faith – Sermon Notes
What do you want out of life… what do you want for your life? How would you finish the statement…
- What I want out of life is ________________.
- What I want for my life is _______________.
- ____________ in ____________!
BE ENCOURAGED as Followers of Jesus to Finish in Faith
Hebrews 11:13–16 — 13 These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. 14 For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. 15 If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had the opportunity to return. 16 But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.
1. Make peace with being a ______________________________
2. Set your focus _______________ on the _______________. Hebrews 11:14-15
3. The ________ is yet to __________!
Matthew 6:19–20 — 19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.
Colossians 3:1–4 — 1 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. 3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.
2 Peter 3:13 — 13 – But according to His promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.
4. Set your ____________ on a _________________________. Hebrews 11:16
1 Corinthians 2:9 — 9 But, as it is written, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him”
Let’s Talk About Finishing in Faith
- What do the difficulties in our lives tempt us to think about God and His promises?
- How does faith change how we see the promises of God?
- What difference does it make to see ourselves as strangers and exiles on the earth now?
- What difference does it make in how we live our lives by being future-focused?
- Why does focusing on our past provide an opportunity to return?
- How is the heavenly country better?
- What makes it possible for God not to be ashamed to be called our God?
- What’s the difference between living a disappointed life as a follower of Jesus and a discontented life as a follower of Jesus?
What God Wants Us to Know
He’s going to fulfill all of His Promises. He’s going to accomplish all of His purposes. He’s going to do it His way. He’s going to do it in His time. He’s going to do it for His glory. And, it’s going to be good for us. The best is yet to come, friends. Remain faithful.
Connect with Cape Carteret Baptist Church
Connect with Cape Carteret Baptist Church and subscribe to the CCBC newsletter. You’ll receive weekly email blasts to keep up with the latest from CCBC and receive encouraging videos from Pastor Kevin.
Cape Carteret Baptist Church
101 Anita Forte Dr.
Cape Carteret, NC 28584
If you enjoyed this post on Finishing in Faith, you might also enjoy the others I’ve shared in the Faith category.