Jason Miller nailed it at SocialFresh 2014, he gave a great presentation discussing the importance of including SlideShare and Infographics as a part of your content. To put it simply, make your content more visually appealing.
“People want a thrill, people want a spectacle, and people love to be entertained” – KISS
Visual is the New Headline
“As content marketers our job is to inspire, educate inform and also entertain.” – Jason Miller
Why are SlideShare and Infographics so successful? They’re visual and, visuals are a staple, a must, in your marketing strategy. You only have seconds to grab someone’s attention. Grab it with a compelling image!
As content creators, we must learn to adapt. Here are five compelling reasons why visuals are a necessity:
- Almost everyone is a visual thinker
- Visual language aids in making decisions
- Visuals makes a better impression than plain text
- Visuals are more persuasive
- Visuals help people connect emotionally
When you begin to include visual content, take a look at the following visual social content platforms: Instagram, Pintrest and Flickr. Though you may find that you like one better than the others, it’s important to figure out where your community is and focus on those platforms. You don’t have to be everywhere, and you don’t want to be. You just want to be where your community (or target demographic) is.
Let’s Talk SlideShare
What is SlideShare? SlideShare is a website where users can upload their presentations and content to the web. Think of it as web based PowerPoint. If you’re giving a presentation, consider using SlideShare to create it and then later upload it as content to your site. It’ll help your community get more information about you!
Why should you consider adding SlideShare to your blog?
- It Automatically adds inter-connectivity
- People don’t have to do a click to go anywhere, they can stay on your content
- It has a built in lead form, which means your community can contact you and you can track it with a built in meter
There are a few hacks to using this platform. According to SlideShare, the optimal presentation has three features and hints to make it successful:
- Keep the number of slides short and sweet (the avg. number of slides is 19 per presentation)
- Be visual with your presentation, include pictures (the avg. number of pictures per presentation is 19)
- Get to the point (the avg. number of words on a slide is 24)
You’re probably wondering why these three things? It’s interesting to note, there was no magic algorithm that determined this. People want simplicity, they want something helpful. If you’re presentation is simple and helpful it will be successful. You don’t have to spend a lot of money. For adding visual content check out Canva and also look at these 10 Canva tips to help you become a visual content master!
There’s a few advantages to creating your own content using SlideShare and Infographics. The most important is that you can tell your story, but how? Here are three ways you can you do this effectively.
- Have a great content strategy
- Make your own advertising
- Create a targeted marketing strategy to drive awareness to your brand
Another advantage you have by creating your own content is that it’s no longer a numbers game. Today, big search engines have killed “content farms”. That means, you don’t need a team of 500 people creating content for you, and you don’t need more content – just relevant content.
Long Live Infographics
What is an Infographic? Basically, they’re graphic visual representations of data or knowledge to show information quickly and in a creative way. Think of it as a graph that incorporates a picture or graphic. Essentially, a dressed up pie chart!
Here are a few reasons to include infographics and their benefits as:
- Infographics provide a snapshot for a bigger story, thus intriguing the community to consume your content
- They break down complicated ideas and information
- Easily shareable
- Fuel for social and demand generation
- Great SEO (search engine optimization) linkbacks
- Enhances press releases
- They are entertaining and fun
To wrap things up, it’s all about being visual today! Including visual content for your community, will help engage and retain their attention for your brand. Visual content is easily understood and shareable. It goes beyond plain text and makes your content interesting and engaging. People love to share great visuals and that means additional ways your content will be promoted. You own your media so write your own story!
Are you currently using photos and videos as a part of you content strategy? Let us know in the comments below.